Miss A. A. Carter Lawton Place, Hilton Head, South Carolina May 20, 1863 American Missionary AMA Records
Notes: Miss A. A. Carter was a teacher supported by the American Missionary Association. Her teaching location was near the headquarters of the Department of the South on Hilton Head at the Lawton Place.
1. The Quarters - former slave housing still housing for the freedpeople.
2. Half hands - all children twelve years and upwards who work in the fields.
3. Mind child - children assigned to watch over children.
4. Mind crow - children assigned to keep crows off the field.
5. Conscription - actually press gang would have been a better term. General Hunter simply had every male (and some youngsters from this report) seized and recruited to USCT regiments. Miss Carter would go on to explain: "I stopped just now to give a Testament to the little drummer boy of the colored regiment. He is only nine years old, but reads nicely..."
6. Shouts - Rhythmatic music could be religious in nature but may not always be